Friday, September 23, 2011

Celebrating Pay It Forward Friday

I have been inspired lately by the level of personal commitment of people in general to spread some good. I think there has always been good going on behind the scenes it just doesn't generate as much attention as the rotten miserable attitude behavior incidents. Have you seen those "Do good commercials" where random strangers start yelling great things and grateful comments at one another? I so want to do that, and I would, but I fear that I cause my children enough embarrassment with my ordinary behavior, so I refrain.

I've made a point over the last few weeks of really paying attention to the things people are doing personally to promote good feelings in society.

  • People are handing out cookies in the name of Food Love
  • People are handing strangers gift cards in the name of the 5 Dollar Project
  • People are collecting food donations for the Food Bank at social meet-ups
  • I have witnessed people pay for the person behind them in line
  • I am amazed by the traffic courtesy of letting people merge alternately when a lane reaches a sudden end (ok this is a weird one maybe but I have to say that personally I really REALLY appreciate the practice)
  • There is a social movement of #PIFF where tweeps encourage/challenge each other to commit an act of random Pay It Forward kindness on Fridays (although I have come to appreciate that these acts are not restricted to Friday)
  • There is the Random Act of Kindness event gearing up in our area
  • I love when I see people chuck their change into the charity boxes at their favourite coffee stops, liqueur stores and supermarket
  • I have seen people offer up parking spots, hold doors, share lunches, pass along bus tickets, pick up garbage, say hi to strangers, and smile at random.
  • People are saving bottles (yes those ones) for the Food Bank, Bottles for Bean 3
  • Recycle your electronics at Gibsons Sound & Vision - proceeds benefit Habitat for Humanity
I'm encouraged....and reminded of my very favourite quote (well one of them) "So shines a good deed in a weary world." (I know it's Shakespeare but I like the way Gene Wilder delivers it in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - yes, the original)

Gratitude to all those who are "DO-GOODING" you really are what shines.

In the spirit of #PIFF I challenge everyone today, to perform an act of DO-GOOD. Put your change in the charity box. Donate the monetary equivalent of that free bag of cookies into the next collection container you see. Say HI to a stranger. Stop and learn one new thing about someone you talk to in passing. Say thank you to someone. Buy a pot of fall flowers and drop them on your neighbour's porch. Do-good!

Do something and share what you did, share what you saw someone else do....I can't wait to see what got Paid Forward today!

Spend some moment everyday in reflection of gratitude and happiness. Even if the time found is standing in line for coffee...use is wisely.


Michelle


Did this post brighten your day? make you smile? If so I'd be ever so grateful if you shared it on Facebook or Twitter. Someone else might be in need of a smile - Thanks